Information your Inspector needs to know.

  • The name on the contract for the purchase of the property.
  • Your contact phone numbers.
  • Your postal address.
  • The address of the property to be inspected.
  • Your email address.
  • The Real Estate Agents name and contact phone numbers.

Important things to consider before you organise a Building and Timber Pest inspection.  Information that should be passed on to the inspector.

Ask the Questions of the Vendor.  I highly recommended that you meet the Vendor because who knows the property more intimately. The Agent won’t have the same knowledge.

  • Gain a letter or statement from the Vendor as to any Timber Pest damages that have been found or repairs for termite damages. (where, when and repaired by who)
  • Has the property had annual Timber Pest Inspections (gain a copy of all inspection reports)
  • Has the house had any termite chemical treatments or barriers placed (where, when, who) including type of chemical or barrier used. What warranties come with the treatment or barrier and is it transferable to you.
  • Alterations to the house or structures. Have these alterations or additions gained a Development Approval (Certification). Built by (where, when, who). This could include Decks, Pergolas, Patios, Rooms, Garages, Carports, Garden Sheds and Retaining Wall to list a few.
  • Drainage to the yard or from neighbouring properties. Has there been any flooding or damming of water to, or on the property.
  • How old is the Hot Water System, Kitchen Appliances, Stove, Cook Top, Oven, Range Hood and Dishwasher to list a few.
  • If a new renovation to a Wet Area, Bathroom, Ensuite, Laundry. (where, when, who) and has there been a Wet Seal Certificate supplied for the water proofing of the room been completed as per Australian Standards (where, when, who).
  • Consider Fall and Trip Hazards. Fall hazards, is the handrail at a height of one metre and is there any gaps greater than 125mm. Trip Hazards, rising edges to concrete paths and driveways, these can be caused by cracking and movement to concrete slabs to name a few.

As you can now see there are many things that need to be taken into consideration when purchasing a property and the above is only a small part of what is being inspected and if you buy it you own the problem. Remember the selling agent is there to work for the Vendor and many agents are very good at their job. I have the utmost respect for them considering the hours and effort they put into marketing a property for sale for the Vendor.

Vendors are the seller and their whole focus is to Sell the property and some will go to many lengths (good and bad) to Sell.

My job as an inspector is to find the faults or defects (if any) and report to you so you can make an informed decision on your purchase. I am not there to resell the property to you.

My main focus is to work for you.